THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Saturday, May 21, 2011

AUTOGRAPH BOOKS...remember those??

Gosh - I haven't thought about them in years - brought back memories of grade school when we would have our friends and family sign our "books" wishing us good "everything" !!  Then we would fold the page in a triangle and the next person would write in it and then that page would be folded the opposite way...what a trip down "memory lane"!!  
Mine are lonnnnnnnggggg gone..but I had the good fortune to purchase two Autograph Books that belonged to "Effie" and were written in 1883 and 1888 respectively.  They are tattered and torn and much faded but kept all those years - I thought I would share the pages with you and will try to write each day one of the pages...they are quite unique.  I believe this family to be of German decent in a town not very far from where our home and store is located..  the English is broken...the handwriting is beautiful and the words are heartspun...
Hope you enjoy as much as I do...

5 comments:

Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Ohhh that is so fun to have found that old autograph book!!
I just love to imagine what their lives were like so long ago ~
Thank you for sharing it with us!

xoxo
Lori

Angela said...

I have my mother's old autograph book and she is now 90 years old, and I still have several of mine from grammer school. So neat that yours are so old. Can't wait to read the inserts from the pages. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

Holly Hills Primitives said...

How wonderful Judy! Can't wait to read some of the verses. I have two of mine from grade school and they are so precious to me, as my grandparents (now long gone) all wrote little verses in them. Have a great weekend, Dawn

moosecraft said...

Wow! Thanks for bringing back that fun memory! I always liked how the book looked when all the pages were folded... looking forward to seeing what's in the book you found!

Guess what?!?!?!?! The sun is shining today!!!!! :-)

Joanne said...

I still have mine from the 60's - does that classify as an antique? I don't remember the folding of the pages though. Interesting.... Can't wait to for you to post the verses

roses are red, violets are blue....