THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

SAD DAY IN HEREFORD TODAY....

Poor Richard's Tavern and Inn - across the street from our store (and owned and operated by our Landlords ) caught fire this morning...it was so awful - this beautiful historic building with smoke filling up the sky.   They rent rooms on the second and third floor and apparently the fire started on the third floor.  No one was hurt - everyone was evacuated quickly and the fire was put out, but not till after so much smoke and water damage was done.  I did not see the back of the building but my landlord told me it was worse back there.  There were 6 different fire companies and 3 rescue units (for the firemen) that came - it was 96 degrees today!....All access to the store was blocked off up till 3 pm.....I am so saddened by this....I went right in the store and blew out my candle that was burning.   How quickly - in a blink of an eye - your life can change.  My Landlady came over first thing this morning to pick up our Certificate of Insurance for our building....just weird how in another hour she was using our phone to call the insurance agent about the fire.   I was on the phone with my friend Barb (Quaint and Plain) when I hung up as I saw fire police outside our front door....haven't had a chance to tell her what the commotion was all about - so hope you are reading this Barb...Here are some pictures I was able to take....





I took the pictures from Kay's (Homespun) front porch  - heartbreaking :(

On a brighter note....since we couldn't get any customers today...I got everything set up and ready for our "Growing Fairies" class tomorrow evening !  I just took brownies out of the oven for our "snack" - and I am praying it cools off a bit cause, although we have an air conditioner in the Attic Studio, it still gets a bit warm when it is 96 degrees outside!!!!   No matter though cause our classes are much fun and we will have lots of Peach Iced Tea to drink !!

8 comments:

Janet - underthewillow said...

that is sad....so sorry to hear about that Judy

Janet

Melissa Lynne said...

So sorry to hear this.. I hate when old, historic buildings have something horrible like this happen. Your town does look beautiful though. I used to be scared to burn candles when I had my store, and even now at home, I don't burn them anymore. I've had such a fear of the house starting on fire from a spark. Now I like my wax melters.
Melissa

Joanne said...

very sad indeed - i do hope once the water is cleaned up they find it's not as bad as they feared! So happy that you were able to get out of their eventually! You know I tried to "get in"! So close....yet so far!

moosecraft said...

This really is sad.... such a beautiful building... so glad you are safe... and I hope those firemen were able to go home, cool off and recuperate! Can't imagine wearing a fire suit in this heat and humidity...

Lori Katies Rose Cottage said...

That is so sad ~ I hate to see old buildings with so much history get destroyed ~

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Oh Judy, I'll bet you were horrified when you saw the smoke! These kind of fires are just tragic. Will they be able to restore this building? So sorry for your town's loss, Dawn

Lois said...

Judy, how sad to hear about a historic building burning!!! Sorry to say, I don't even remember seeing it when I was there. I was busy looking for your store as we came from behind and Amy drove around front to show me what I see on the blog!!!! And I think we drove right past it????

Lois L.

THE SPICE CUPBOARD said...

Just the third floor was heavily damaged...but repairable - a lot of smoke and water damage thruout though. The owners restored the tavern and saved it from demo about 20 years ago and did the same with our building - they are survivors and will do it again. Sad though - the fire started from an air conditioner. :(