THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Monday, June 21, 2010

OLD WASHING MACHINE...

I wanted to show you more pics of this old washing machine but it sold before I could get any....(not a bad thing)   The inside of the tub is ribbed all around the stave's and on the bottom like an old wooden washboard would be.... the piece you see underneath is cast iron (makes the whole tub so heavy)..a crank was inserted with a handle that went down into the cast iron wheel and you would "churn" the crank therefore washing the clothes....(a human agitator!!!)  There was alot more iron and wood paraphernalia on the tub but it was crappy looking so Tony took it off and cleaned up the old green paint.  What a fun piece of history. (and we have another one...similar but different - he is still working on that one....LOL!!)
Today at market he found a wonderful old butter churn...complete...will take pics after  he does his magic to it - !!!  Off to babysit as it is my son's and daughter-in-laws anniversary!!!

1 comment:

Linda ★ Parker's Paradise said...

I am loving this. I have a wringer that attaches to the basin. It is all wood with some really funky plastic/vinyl stuff on the rollers. It is very dry. I love looking at all the old ways they used to do laundry. I can remember using an old Maytag wringer washer when we were kids and there was no other choice but hanging clothes out. *sigh* I get pretty nostalgic about things like that. Think I'd like to do that again but then I come to my senses and am grateful for my new Maytags.....
Linda