THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Monday, May 17, 2010

LEMON BALM...

When I opened the window in our back hallway, letting in some fresh air while cleaning,  the aroma of lemon was delightful - underneath the window is a huge patch of Lemon Balm growing...now ready to be harvested into bouquets for drying.  I went out an cut a big bunch to hang on our kitchen porch door - it will greet Tony when he comes home tonight.  (although I think the garlic scent of dinner might be more to his liking !! )
(a real make-do chair reinforced many years ago, prim bowl of Lemon Balm and a little bunch of sage)

The wild rose bushes (across the street in the woods) are in full bloom and the scent of those are intoxicating - when you pick the flowers they die very fast...(sad face) but then if you leave them alone in November you get the prettiest red rosehip bunches.    Of course you have to remember where they were blooming cause they get hidden with the rest of the woodland growth.  Personally I purchase ours for the store from my "gatherer"...Kathleen....I don't know how old she is....older than me and you all know I am old...but she tredges (with an adult grandson) thru thicket and vine to her favorite cutting place and fills all the local stores from Lancaster to Hereford with her bounty!!  (and very reasonable too!)  (am I talking Christmas????- forgive me) ~~~!!!!

No comments: