THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Monday, April 12, 2010

SOME CALL IT "JUNKIN" !!!

I call it antiquing....but in reality when I see some of the homes  in the country magazines....I suppose I am a "junker"...of old and worn but functional and usuable items!  There isn't much in our home that is "just for display" !  You sit on our old chairs and if a "rong" comes loose we glue it back - quilts are used for keeping warm - old boxes hold papers, potpourri, tools, books, and more.  An old spice box is where we keep the stamps, extra screws, tokens, receipts, the weekly cash....hmmmm...you wouldn't believe the good "finds" in those little drawers.   We have lived in our home for 39 years....that is a long time...I know every nook and cranny and have changed the curtains too many times to remember.   I'm telling you all this because today I am going to "purge".....yegads what an ugly word.....LOL!!  The attic is filled to the brim with 39 years of crafting, collecting and and just plain...."I might want that one day" items that need to GO !   So I am a bit sad - letting go is not any easy thing - Tony is THRILLED !!  AND, nobody wants what is in the attic.. and in reality, neither do I any longer...sigh !!  So today is the day I start......thank goodness the sun is shining!!
While "antiquing" a couple weeks ago I happened upon some old baby shoes....for awhile they were hard to find - (last year we had a class in making a baby shoe pincushion - thanks to Dawn of  http://www.the-feathered-nest.blogspot.com/  )  and I wanted to make a few to sell - no luck finding any....until a few weeks ago I found a few pairs.   I was going to make  pincushions but after seeing some "inspiration" on other blogs I decided to make this instead...
It sold, (thank you Amy) and when I take my "breaks" from cleaning today I will sew and stuff birdies and make some "baby shoe" nests for them.   I gotta have some fun today !!

6 comments:

Debra said...

Wow! You are going to be busy! Great baby shoe- I love what you did with it!!

moosecraft said...

The baby shoe bird nest is WONDERFUL! Birds make their home anywhere, including shoes and boots! :-) You will feel so much better after you "purge" your attic! A weight will be lifted that you didn't realize was there! And, I call it "pickin'"... picking from others junk and making it my treasure! :-) Have a sunny day!

Holly Hills Primitives said...

You just always come up with the best ideas! It's tough to "get rid of" some of our beloved treasures, but I know what you mean. I've been doing that all winter - cleaning out our old house. Have fun, Dawn

Ginny said...

Judy, we know what you are going thru. My mother-in-law lived with us and her entire house was in the attic, when she passed and when we felt we were okay to purge things, we had no idea where it would lead us. And you know what? it led us to becoming Antiques dealers, we sold so many of her items and so enjoyed it that we knew it was something we wanted to do. So, 5+ years later here we are, back in the same boat, house is now stuffed with business inventory!! Yikes we will never get away from stuff. But, we wouldn't have it any other way. Have fun!!

ctlogcabin said...

Miss Judy ~~
Aren't you ambitious...good for you. I tell my DIL please don't curse me when I'm gone, cause she will be the one dealing with all my junk & trash. lol I too have something in every box, trunk, basket, bowl ..... etc I say I go antiquing ... but really I go
Junk & Trashing and I Love it !!! Loved having the phone chat the other day and catching up.
love & hugs ~~ xox

gail said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!