THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Monday, July 13, 2009

??? AMISH PUZZLE BALLS ???

The picture above is of two "Puzzle Balls" made for us by Leah Webb (one of our very talented artists) !! I have searched long to try and find any "history" of these works of "art" - but have not been able to. I know the "antique ones" go for lots and lots of $$$$'s and no wonder when you see all the work that is involved in making one. Apparently they were made for "fun" - (yes the Amish have FUN too!) and used as pincushions. They look great just sitting around with your other "sewies" !! The two that Leah made are a sample of exquisite workmanship. They are for sale on our PT !!The rainstorm we had Saturday night really "beat down" the gladiolas at the store - Tony staked them up yesterday and brought me in a bouquet - sadly they do not last long once cut. I could have sold the bouquet a few times .. LOL!! I love how they look in front of the double mirror...gives you more "bling" !!! Aren't they the prettiest RED...!!! Gladiolas are a fond memory of my Grandfather. My grandparents owned a Country Inn and Restaurant...THE GREEN GABLES INN...and my Grandfather raised the most prettiest flowers (not that I appreciated them when I was young)...He would take an olde flower basket ( like we think of funeral baskets today) fill them with the Glads and they would be the centerpiece on a table in one of the dining rooms...it would be huge and beautiful.... MEMORIES ....

1 comment:

ctlogcabin said...

Morning Judy ~~ Love the name of your Grandfathers place..and a large basket of Glads, oh my how wonderful that must have looked. Thanks for sharing your memories with us. And I dont think I have ever looked at your hands...too busy laughing, talking and looking at your beautiful smile.
Hugs ~ Connie xox