THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Brrrrrrrrrrrr- OCTOBER IS HERE!



I loved the weather today....it was a wonderful fall day! Chilly but crisp and windy....the summer flowers are turning brown and I am no longer dead heading them....and they look sad. Soon they will need to be pulled out and thrown away and the perennials will need to be cut back - Tony's job! I don't garden....I pick flowers and herbs!
It is getting darker earlier and not sure I am up with that...soon I will be driving home from the store in the dark and that really makes my days short.
The store looks so festive and Halloweenish...it always looks quite awesome in the dark....candles glow in every window welcoming customers - and in my home too. I understand people say this is a "Pennsylvania" thing ????? I think it started many years ago when the houses along the coast line would light candles in their windows to guide the fishing ships home. We have 16 windows and 16 candlelights.....it again, is Tony's job to keep them shining and replace any bulbs that burn out. Sometimes a neighbor will say "hey your candle in the second floor back window is out" !! We are lucky that there is an outlet at each window....before we moved here there wasn't any electric or water, heat or bathrooms....Built in 1828 this olde house has some charm to it - small but a happy home. A builder bought the home and the surrounding acreage putting new homes all around us. I like my neighbors and wouldn't want to be in the middle of nowhere - we are friendly, talkative and Tony has the workshop - so there is always someone around to chat with or do something for! We have lived here for 37 years.....that makes us laugh as we remember people saying they lived somewhere for 20 years and we would be amazed. Gosh we are getting olde - and hopefully wiser!
This is our month of birthdays too.....October 7th is Kennedy's our grandaughter who will be 8, and October 15th a grandson Evan who will be 8 (one is my son's and one is my daughter's - my children always did do things together) Another grandson, Grayden will be 7 on the 16th and Tad, my son, 36 on the 27th....lots of cake, ice cream and presents....and then Halloween! I love October!!!
Isn't that iron plant stand wonderful (picture at top) - one of the treasures I found on Tuesday....

5 comments:

Saltbox Farm said...

I LOVE the plantstand Perme, what a great find!! Oh, and I love living out in the "middle of no where"! lol
Hugs, BrunieMae

MISS PRUDENCE said...

YOUR PLANT STAND IS A TRUE TREASURE I MUST SAY.... MISSING YOU AND EVERYONE IN PA THAT MADE OUR VISIT SO WONDERFUL... THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES AND THANKS TOO TO DEAR TONY FOR SPENDING FUN TIMES WITH JERRY ,,, YUMMY FOOD, GRAND VISITS AND TALKS, LAUGHS AND TEARS , SUCH IS THIS BLISSFUL LIFE WE ARE LIVING...

THE SPICE CUPBOARD said...

To Brunie - I know - I know you love it - but I am a city girl who lives in "what I call country" !!(1/2 acre with lots of grass and few trees..)

To Miss Prudence - Tony fixed the plant stand so the pot doesn't wobble - shined it up (oh dear!) and it does look pretty darn good..picture just doesn't show how cool it is. I had fun shopping on Tuesday...you have the best eyes for finding the good stuff! XOXO Judy

Tomatoe Creek Prims said...

Love the plant stand and pic of your store:)
Rondell

Pots 'n Prims said...

Love the plantstand, too! Oh how I wish I could have been there for Barbara's visit! What a grand time I'm sure! Can't wait until our next visit up!
Oh & I left you an award on my blog!
XoXo-
lisa

p.s. I'll take the "out in the middle of nowhere" any day - as we sit in the middle of our family's 50+ acre farm! :)