THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK

THE SPICE CUPBOARD at THE CINNAMON STICK
STORE HOURS
Thursday - Saturday 10 am to 4 pm
Sunday - 12 pm to 4 pm
CLOSED- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Getting ready for the 4th of July....



I love the fireworks...growing up we would all get in my Aunt's car (it was a convertible) and head out to the park where a great firework display would take place. We would sit on the hood and trunk of her car and watch the sparkles in the sky. I spent most of my childhood growing up in Valley Forge, PA. But never thought much about the history....we played in the log cabins...we waded in the creek and swung from the monkey vines while tourists visited Washington's Headquarters....I lived only across the creek and up the bank - less than 100 yards away...! Visitors would come all dressed up...wearing hats and their Sunday clothes (this was the 50's mind you)!! We would run in and out of the buildings....barefooted and dressed in shorts and tops, mud between our toes! When I got older we would ride our bikes across the covered bridge and right into the park until the Rangers chased us. Horrid little brats we were. The Rangers knew us by name so we really weren't that bad - cause in those days - woohoo - you KNEW how much trouble you would be in if the Ranger came knocking at the door! My grandparents were married in the Valley Forge Chapel and my uncle was the fire chief for many years of the Valley Forge Volunteer Fire Company. We attended the Valley Forge Baptist Church and I was married in the Valley Forge Methodist Church - Valley Forge TODAY has a very special meaning to me...all the history - both Revoluntionary and MINE....!! When I had children and we visited Washington's Headquarters - THEY taught me so much as they stood in "awe" of seeing what they had learned in school. Yes, I love the 4th of July, the fireworks, the history and all the wonderful childhood memories. Maybe when next I visit my parents (they are buried in Valley Forge) I will stop at the park and revisit some olde memories. WISHING YOU A SAFE AND HAPPY FOURTH!

2 comments:

Mrs. Staggs said...

I've enjoyed reading your memories Judy. You're very fortunate to have grown up living in a place with so much history.

I love the 4th of July, and I still love fireworks too! I'll be watching them again this year, down by the lake. It always takes me back to childhood and picnics and my heart feels full of pride for our country. With all its faults, the founding principles still prevail. The men who created our constitution were indeed, very wise.

Let Freedom Ring!

P.S. You've won the Tasha Tudor book!

MISS PRUDENCE said...

DEAR MISS JUDY....
A LOVELY STORY OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIY,,, MEMORIES LAST A LIFE TIME AND HAPPILY SO...
THANK YOU FOR SHARING ,, I HAVE VISITED VALLEY FORGE OFTEN AND LOVE IT SO,,, NOW WHEN I VISIT I WILL HAVE MEMORIES OF YOU AND YOUR YOUTHFUL DAYS TUCKED IN MY POCKET...

YOUR FRIEND FROM TURKEY HOLLOW,B